I am sitting on my fabulous couch enjoying my last few days before rejoining the working world. It is funny to me that before the days at home went by so slowly with me counting the hours until Andy would be home from work and now they go by so fast as I look around at all of the things that I want to get accomplished between now and then.
I will be working as a social worker at a kidney center with dialysis patients. I am excited and nervous about the new job because it is completely different than what I have been doing in the past. I have a lot of different feelings because I felt like child welfare was my calling and now I will not be involved in child welfare at all unless I am able to do some volunteer work which is my hope, but I also want to get started on LCSW supervision so I do not know how much time I will have. Although I feel on the one hand like I have abandoned my calling on the other hand I have a sense of relief, because I will not have to make such huge decision as what adoptive family should a child be paced with or does this child need to be removed or are they safe at home. As a case-manager I was constantly having to question whether or not I could trust people. I will definitely miss just hanging out with all my kids. We will see how it goes at CKC once I get started. I have to believe that was the right choice because of the way everything fell into place.
I went to my parent's house for a few days last week to visit with my great aunt from PA. It was nice to spend time with my family other than what is normally a very quick weekend visit. My aunt makes fabulous homemade bread and cinnamon rolls, which was an added bonus. As I result of the trip I now have more boxes to unpack and figure out where to put remnants of my childhood and teenage years. I don't have as much as I was hoping to bring though because my mom is somewhat reluctant to let me take things as she is concerned that I will throw every thing away. As I look over things it makes me think about parts of me I am glad that I outgrew and other parts of me that I want to work on bringing back. I guess I just want to keep striving to become the person I was put here to be and not grow complacent and lazy.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Congrats on your new job! Here's my prediction: It won't be long before you find a way to make a difference in the lives of these folks, just like you did the kids you worked with. And the opportunity to volunteer seems like a really good chance to stay close to what you love so much with less pressure.
Proud of you!
Tommy Johns
Looks like everything's going well for you guys! That's awesome! (...of course)
Post a Comment